Research on serious building defects in NSW strata communities
The Office of the Building Commissioner partnered with Strata Community Association NSW to examine the experience of NSW strata communities with serious building defects.
- The purpose of the report is to produce clear data on the problem of serious building defects in class 2 residential apartment buildings in NSW.
- The report found 39% of strata buildings had experienced serious defects in the common property.
- The research forms part of the Construct NSW strategy to reform the building and construction industry.
- The most commonly occurring serious defect related to waterproofing, affecting 23% of surveyed buildings, followed by fire safety (14%).
- Around 47% of buildings with serious defects were able to achieve resolution.
- Only 15% of buildings with serious defects were reported to Fair Trading.
- Serious defects generally led to significant financial and emotional stress for homeowners, tenants and strata managers.
Click the link below for more information, and to download the report. The report has also been placed on the ACRA website under our Reference Library tab.